This site has limited support for your browser. We recommend switching to Edge, Chrome, Safari, or Firefox.
Congratulations! Your order qualifies for free shipping You are $100 away from free shipping within NZ.

Unveiling India's Manufacturing Excellence

Unveiling India's Manufacturing Excellence

We’re often asked about the manufacturing practices in India including their position on child labour.

From our perspective, environmental sustainability and worker welfare are of critical importance and sit at the heart of our values. It is why we only use certified organic cotton in our products.  

 

India is renowned as a global hub for sustainable and ethical manufacturing practices, particularly in the textile industry. Among the various certifications that validate these efforts, the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) holds a prominent place.

In this post, we will delve into the manufacturing standards adhered to by GOTS-certified manufacturers in India, highlighting the country's commitment to sustainability, ethics, and quality.

 

Understanding GOTS Certification:

The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is a comprehensive and globally recognized certification that ensures the organic status of textiles, from harvesting raw materials to environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing.

In India, GOTS-certified manufacturers adhere to strict guidelines, setting the benchmark for sustainable and ethical production.

 

Key Manufacturing Standards:

1. Organic Fiber Production:

GOTS-certified manufacturers in India source their raw materials, such as cotton or wool, from organic farms. These farms adhere to strict guidelines, prohibiting the use of synthetic pesticides and promoting biodiversity and soil health.

2. Processing and Manufacturing:

The manufacturing process is closely monitored to ensure that it meets GOTS standards. This includes the use of environmentally friendly dyes and chemicals, compliance with fair labour practices, and the implementation of energy and water efficiency measures in factories.

3. Social Criteria:

GOTS places a strong emphasis on fair and safe labour practices. Certified manufacturers in India prioritize the well-being of their workers, ensuring fair wages, reasonable working hours, and safe working conditions. This commitment extends to the entire supply chain.

4. Quality Assurance:

GOTS certification guarantees that the final product meets stringent quality standards. From the integrity of organic fibres to the absence of harmful substances, consumers can trust that GOTS-certified textiles from India are of the highest quality.

 

Having recently returned from a trip to southern India where we toured extensively through different manufacturing plants to learn more about the whole textile production processes, we were blown away by the efforts many factories are going to regarding waste management and minimising environmental footprint.

For example; our dyeing mill is able to clean and reuse 98.5% of their water consumption. The remaining 1.5% ends up as a solid waste material which is purchased by the government for use somewhere else.

Our spinning mill utilises solar panels to capture energy which goes into the power grid for redistribution. Rejected cotton is sold off to recycled cotton manufacturers.

Our knitting manufacturer has a machine that undoes any rejected articles and is able to reuse the cotton for making garment tapes etc).

And the people behind it all are so passionate and care greatly about producing the highest quality products and valuing employee relationships and loyalty.

 

 

As women coming from a 25-year corporate career, I can’t say I have ever been treated with as much respect as I was when visiting with the various CEOs and Manufacturing leads in India. To be honest, I had not expected this so was so pleasantly surprised and grateful. And feel truly honoured to have such a great team working for us in India.

  

India's GOTS-certified manufacturers really do stand at the forefront of sustainable and ethical textile production.

By adhering to strict guidelines that encompass every stage of manufacturing, these companies contribute to a more responsible and conscientious global textile industry. Not only are they supporting environmentally friendly practices but also reflects a commitment to the well-being of workers and the highest standards of product quality.

 

We are only a journey of learning and discovery as much as anyone. We encourage you to share these posts with family and friends so they too can gain insights to the questions they may not have asked themselves either. 

And if there is anything you want to know, please reach out to me at viv@ecovask.nz and I'll see if we can help find the answers. 

Cart

Congratulations! Your order qualifies for free shipping You are $100 away from free shipping.
No more products available for purchase